Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Little Update On Piranhas

The project I'm working on will end in September 2017, but since we're on a budget, we will be discharged in several phases before the closing month. We will reduce the number of employees from around 300 currently to 100 as of  April. We have started doing this since December. I myself will end the contract in May, if nothing prevails.

This may sound a sad thing, but in the eyes of Piranhas, farewell equals to a feast, delicious foods and get together before departing for another project out there. Also, many of us actually looking forward to have a short break from the job. At least, I do.

Here are several conversation we had recently:

#1. On Finding Reasons To Get Fired

Situation: we were discussing on who leaves when, when DN, a next-office colleague, came and joined the conversation

DN: Oh you guys will leave in several months, while I will rot in the next office until God knows when
Me: You can make yourself get fired, if you prefer that way
DN: Oh yeah, I can circulate an email containing my nude photos. Would that make me got fired?
All: (silence for a second, before we all broke into the loudest laugh)
And as in cue, DN's boss, L, a woman in her 40s, came behind DN's back.
L: What were you laughing about?
DN: We were discussing on ways to get fired. I proposed to send an email containing my nude photos.
L: Are you going to send that email to the offices in Indonesia, or the US, too?
DN: Which has better chance of getting fired?
L: Instead of getting fired, you'll only be charged for ethics. You should come up with a better plan.
All: (did a double take on L, and then laughing hysterically)

#2. On Finding Post-Project Activities

Situation: as I said, many sees the end of project as a moment to have a career break. So here's what you possibly hear from some of us if you ask us,"What would you do after the project closing?"

PH, 70 yo: I will return to Flores and see what I can help there
PA, 55+ yo: I'm scheduled to do pilgrimage next year, so I would probably prepare the things for my departure
AH, 38 yo: I want to return to academic sector, start on my PhD
IL, 39 yo: I want to start a small business using the severance pay
Me: I want to do Ramadhan fasting at peace, so I'd be most likely postpone the job search for 1-2 months

#3. On Scheduling The Farewell

Situation: Big Boss is taking leave, while we are planning the farewell

SR: I think it's better to hold the farewell on Dec. 29, because Big Boss is taking leave until Dec. 27. However, this would mean WA, whose last day is on Dec. 23, would not be able to participate.
AH: Who will pay for the food at the farewell?
SR: Big Boss
AH: Oh that's great, the food will be abundant and delicious if the Big Boss pays. Ok, we'll hold it on Dec. 29 then.

No comments:

Post a Comment