Monday, February 6, 2017

A Magical Night At The International Ballet Gala


Source: here


I still haven't moved on from the magical night of International Ballet Star Gala last Saturday. Oh, by the way, yes I bought the ticket on a whim. But I didn't regret it at all. 

The gala showcased 10 international principal dancers, who performed excerpts of world famous ballet shows, both classic and contemporary ballet. The classic included Swan Lake, Don Quixote, Carmen Suite, and Giselle. 

I wished I could record the whole show, but there were a series of restrictions for the spectators. Fortunately there is a video on international ballet artist Adiarys Almeida performing Le Corsaire (one of the excerpts performed on Saturday) with Joseph Gatti. She performed the dance on Saturday night with Daniil Simkin of American Ballet Theater, though, but it's pretty much the same.

I went to this show alone, and luckily was seated to a nice lady who was also going on her own. We bonded over a battle of seat dispute that unraveled before our eyes. The dispute started when a couple (heretofore to be called as Couple #1) came in very late and found  their seats were occupied by another couple (Couple #2). It was not Couple #2's fault, though, they were guided by an officer to those very seats. Couple #1 insisted to take back their rights, however, Couple #2 found that their rightful seats were also occupied by other couple (Couple #3). The officer tried to fix the dispute by directing the couples to their seats, which was what she should do in the first place to avoid this kind of dispute.

Couple #1 and Couple #2 were saying angry words to each other, disrupting my vision and audio enjoyment of the show. Both my seat mate and I agreed that while it was all the officer's fault, Couple #1 should not start the drama. After all, they came very late. They were lucky to be allowed inside. Should this happen in Europe, they would have to wait outside until the intermission.

Another note to self: I should wear a dress/skirt and high heels for my next ballet viewing. Although I've put on my formal attire, I felt very under-dressed last Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment