Monday, February 13, 2017

The Trouble With Passwords

My office gives me a moderately small laptop to work on all work-related assignments. Due to security measures, the laptop has two passwords. The first should be keyed in upon the completion of booting, and the second is used to activate the operating system. Actually, there is a third password: for the office email.

And to make matters worse, those passwords should be changed periodically. The new passwords should be different than the old ones, and the new passwords should have strong elements such as capitals and numbers.

It goes without question that I keep forgetting and mixing up those passwords. The situation would go like this...

#1. When Passwords Expire
Situation: I was trying to log in to the laptop, but to no avail. IT guy came to the rescue.
IT Guy: Before your passwords are expiring, you will receive a notification email. Please inform me should such email arrives in your inbox
Me: Ok, will do.
(A few months later)
Me: I got the notification email!
IT Guy: Ok, just chill and change the passwords.
Me: Can you do that for me? If I do it, the system says the new passwords are not strong enough.
IT Guy: Argh, ok.

#2. When I Forgot The Passwords
Situation: I keyed in the wrong passwords three time. After three wrongs of log in, the system will stop and no one can use the laptop.
Me: Errr, could you help me with the laptop?
IT Guy: Ok, what did you do now?
Me: I keyed in wrong passwords three times, and it's blocked now.
IT Guy: Ok, just wait for a bit. You'd better wrote these down, it's been the umpteenth time you forgot them.
Me: Ok, done
(A few days later)
Me: If I want to log in to the headquarters, which password I should use?
IT Guy: The one for email.
Me: The problem is I think I keyed in the wrong passwords. Three times.
IT Guy: (-_-)"

Do you also have trouble remembering passwords? Have any tips to overcome it?

No comments:

Post a Comment